Skye 2002: a friendly face, part II

nealthevet.JPG
Noel wasn’t the only friendly face we met on our honeymoon, we also had the delight of spending an evening in the pub with Neal. We were staying in a small inn on the Isle of Skye in a hamlet called Stein, and we wandered down to the pub for supper and a few drams. It turned out to be the most lively night of our trip (and one I paid for the next morning). We talked to just about everyone in the pub, tried a few new whiskys, and enjoyed a bottle of wine and a plate of prawns courtesy of Neal.

Neal’s one of three veterinarians on Skye, and this makes him so well known that he told me to write him a postcard from Canada at “Neal the Vet, Isle of Skye”. Thinking he was pulling my leg, I asked the bartender if that really was all the address I needed. Quite seriously, he replied that it might help to add “Scotland” to the end of the address if I was to mail it from Canada, but it would arrive quite fine.

Nights like this made our honeymoon the wonderful experience it was.

1. wade says:

hmm, with my luck i would probably end up honeymooning at Wonder World. never heard of it? you got it!

great stories, trish.

2. Jeorg says:

Wow…

3. PS: My mum, who is half-Scottish, would dearly, dearly love to visit Scotland. I think it would actually qualify as an actual *yearning*. I’d love to see the place myself; it looks so gorgeous in films and photos, and reading about it is great, too (though not, perhaps, in the likes of Trainspotting). I’m currently reading Diana Gabaldon’s historical novel, Outlander (called Cross Stitch in UK/Australia), which is set in 18th century Scotland, and the atmosphere is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

4. You tell marvellous travel stories, Trish. Nice to see you posting again, too. I envy you your (and, I guess, Cory’s) ability to mingle with a bunch of people you otherwise don’t know. I’d be pole-axed with, “Oh my god! What do I say now?”

5. Jason says:

Cool! I wish I had an address like:
    Jason from Canada.

6. treefen says:

This confirms my idea that Scotland would be an ideal vacation spot – if the Monkey and I ever tie the knot, we’ll be calling you for travel tips.

7. Jeorg says:

Wow…

8. PS: My mum, who is half-Scottish, would dearly, dearly love to visit Scotland. I think it would actually qualify as an actual *yearning*. I’d love to see the place myself; it looks so gorgeous in films and photos, and reading about it is great, too (though not, perhaps, in the likes of Trainspotting). I’m currently reading Diana Gabaldon’s historical novel, Outlander (called Cross Stitch in UK/Australia), which is set in 18th century Scotland, and the atmosphere is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

9. You tell marvellous travel stories, Trish. Nice to see you posting again, too. I envy you your (and, I guess, Cory’s) ability to mingle with a bunch of people you otherwise don’t know. I’d be pole-axed with, “Oh my god! What do I say now?”

10. Jason says: