Scotch Club

Last night: Canadian Legion, branch 30. A room full of comfy armchairs, the lovely smell of good scotch, and active conversation. I sit next to a man who has travelled extensively through Europe. Long distance hikes in France and England, boat trips to Shetland and Orkney, herring covered in oatmeal. I’m sipping on a scotch not available to the general public, Cory next to me, and I think I’m in heaven.

We’ve been invited to join a scotch club and last night was the first meeting of the year. I’m not sure what I expected, but the welcome we received was amazing. The club is diverse, with a wide age range (we were, of course, on the younger end), and has been in operation for over 20 years. Aside from the whisky, I’m eagerly looking forward to meeting more people next month, as the room seemed to be filled with stories, opinions, and warm-hearted people.

mirror.JPG
Lindsay in the mirror.

1. wade says:

i’m trying to find a club where we sit around and drink cheap six packs of beer. oh, wait, those are my regular friends. nevermind!

2. jane says:

sounds like a lot of fun. and a great group of people with lots to teach.

3. doc says:

Mmmm…scotch. Given my druthers, I’d be sipping on a nice Islay scotch like Lagavulin. Love the rich, heavy peaty, smoky taste. Maybe Steve will pick some up for my visit at the end of the month!

4. gimmy says:

Ohmygod. You’re living John’s dream right now. He would looooooove to become a member of a scotch club but we haven’t been able to find any in our area.

5. Mom says:

How did you hear about this club and get invited? Sounds like you have lined up many enjoyable evenings to come.

6. Lana says:

Ah!! This is the kind of extra-curricular activity I should have signed up for instead of Italian!!! I am in a class with five married 40 year old women who are married to Italian men and have just decided to finally learn the language… sigh.

7. treefen says:

Sorry… I’ve tried scotch as well, and I just can’t get the hang of it =) Wine tasting on the other hand… yum! Oh, and thanks for the lovely message left over yonder. It did wonders.

8. trish says:

The difference between some lowland or speyside scotch and a malt irish whiskey is pretty minimal… maybe you just haven’t tried the right kinds.

9. Kyle says:

Sounds like a blast… I’d love to do something like that… only maybe not with scotch. I still haven’t acquired a taste for that. Which is strange because I love rye and Irish whiskey. Maybe someday I’ll be sophisticated enough… ;)

10. jane says:

sounds like a lot of fun. and a great group of people with lots to teach.

11. doc says: