The Five Find-Outers

Our flat has two locks on the door, one regular modern lock, and one old-fashioned lock that you can look right through and gets turned by a giant symmetrical key. It feels like something out of Enid Blyton. When we were discussing how we’d lock the flat before bed I blurted out “well you can’t just leave the key in, because otherwise someone could slide a newspaper underneath the door, jiggle the key out of the lock, and pull it under to the other side”. Cory looked at me strangely and said “where’d that come from”. It took me a while to realize where, but it was one of those Five Find-Outers books I read as a little kid. However, my moment of triumph was shortlived, as Cory managed to demonstrate that if you put the key just so (twisting it a bit) it couldn’t be jiggled out, and pointing out that there really wasn’t enough space under the door for the key to come through. A childhood sleuth crushed. Ah well, it’s still pretty cool that I *might* know how to open a locked door here from the other side.

We have a bed, a kitchen table with four chairs, and have ordered a sofa which will arrive in a few weeks. I swear I feel like a grown-up!

graveyardtorry.jpg

1. Becca says:

You have got the cleanest, classiest, minimalist blog around and it brings back fond memories of several years in Britain … with one in Scotland! There is something about the sky in Scotland … it’s magic.

2. Cory says:

That would be whisky Jason. Just like Canada, there is no ‘e’ in our whisk(e)y; that is only in Ireland and the USA.

3. Jason says:

C & T,

How are you two? How did the move go?

Great to see that Cory hasn’t lost his sense of Humour.

Cory I’ll need a blog update of your recommended whiskey’s

4. James says:

Hi Trish

Remember me? It’s James Done here. I’ve just found your blog – very stylish and a pleasure to read. I see you’ve moved to The Island! Best wishes for your new life in Scotland. I shall look forward to hearing more in your blog.

James

5. Chris says:

Really? I knew her books were formulaic, but I had no idea she even reused the number of characters. I stand corrected and bow to your superior literary knowledge.

6. Anonymous says:

wow!!

7. trish says:

nope, it’s not the Famous Five. I’m talking about a different set of Blyton books, the one’s with Fatty and Bets. Translation services not needed and incorrect.

8. Chris says:

Oh, I forgot to say, it’s “The Famous Five” now you’re in this country. Translation services free of charge.

9. Mom says:

You have definitely tickled my sense of humour for today. I can imagine Cory’s surprise at your suggestion! Isn’t it amazing how our mind stores information that can pop out seemingly without our control.

10. Jeorg says:

i have to admit, that while reading that, i thought, nope, already had that thought and it was completely disproven by living a year in france…

very cool that you have a flat now. i am waiting for the day that you start writing your blogs with different english, flavored with foreign lands and what not.

11. Chris says:

That doesn’t work? I think I might cry.

12. V. says:

My childhood sleuth is crushed as well! How disappointing…

Glad you’re found a flat and are getting settled.

13. Cory says:

14. Jason says:

C & T,

How are you two? How did the move go?

Great to see that Cory hasn’t lost his sense of Humour.

Cory I’ll need a blog update of your recommended whiskey’s

15. James says:

Hi Trish

James

16. Chris says:

17. Anonymous says:

wow!!

18. trish says:

19. Chris says:

20. Mom says:

21. Jeorg says:

22. Chris says:

That doesn’t work? I think I might cry.

23. V. says:

My childhood sleuth is crushed as well! How disappointing…

Glad you’re found a flat and are getting settled.