norway (bergen) 2007

We finally made it to the continent as a family – after two and a half years of living just next door. The fact that it was a business trip to Norway was kicker – I had to go and it was somewhere that we’d both always wanted to visit. And wow – with perfect weather and Duncan still strollerable – how could we not?

bergen1.JPG

Bergen is an amazing city, nestled in between mountains with tiny streets full of slanting wooden houses. We found a great coffee shop on this street and Cory visited it daily in search of energy (this week was also a great role reversal as it’s the first time Cory’s been on sole parenting duty for multiple days).

awesomestatue.JPG

I love this fountain – it’s the perfect little boy look of horror!

bergenview.JPG

And just across from it, the view over the lake and up the hillside.

bryggen1.JPG

As gorgeous and atmospheric as the city is, the heart is the old waterfront, Bryggen where the wooden warehouses dating back to the Hanseatic League form a warren of wood. They burned down in 1702 but were rebuilt on the same foundations in the same form. Every postcard has the same picture of the front of the buildings (see the link), but I prefer the view from inside, where they show far more character and originality.

There’s a cute gallery here too selling decently affordable art (prints) of distinctly local scenes. We decided to follow Don and Pat’s example (they’ve bought art showing a local landscape from every city they’ve visited – and that’s not a small set) and picked up a lovely print in bold blues. Whether it’ll adorn Duncan’s room or the hall is up for discussion…

streetart.JPG

One of my colleagues got more excited by some (perhaps more authentic?) other art, found on a building near the fast ferry terminal.

momexcited.JPG

And finally me, excited to bits on Friday that I’d actually have a whole day in Bergen on Saturday with my family. Cory and Duncan did a ton of exploring while I was working and some mornings I was very jealous…

groovin.JPG
Grooving (or just preventing a fall) to the local band.

1. Bon says:

the dancing, grooving Duncan is tres cool. as are all the photos. the graffiti…i just found out who Banksy is, weird synchronicity there.

2. elspeth says:

We spent a long weekend in Bergen a couple of years ago and loved it – great photos. Glad you had a fun holiday together.

3. Angella says:

Wow! Great photos! And you look very happy in that last one :)

4. kyle says:

Seems like you guys are making the most of your move to Scotland for sure. Duncan is looking big and gorgeous! That graffiti looks like a Banksy to me, so that is a pretty sweet find :)

5. m says:

I’ve always wanted to go to Norway, too. Spent a little time in Denmark and Iceland and am keen to do all of Scandanavia. Looks like you had a lovely time.

(I tried to comment on your previous post, but perhaps the comments have been disabled? I just want to say I’m sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a remarkable man and made a huge impact on the lives of many. You must feel lucky to have known him.)

6. Leah says:

What an amazing place! Sounds like a nice getaway for the whole fam. (And you look especially great!)

7. elspeth says:

8. Angella says:

Wow! Great photos! And you look very happy in that last one :)

9. kyle says: