Duncan’s memorised his Scots poem for Tartan Week at school and I’ve finished his bit of tartan to wear. Aside from a kilt, it’s a bit harder to put tartan on a boy – sashes and ribbons work really well with minimal effort for girls but I was struggling to come up with a plan this year for Duncan. We’ve decided to go with a homemade waistcoat this year using a pattern completely invented by Duncan and I and constructed initially out of brown paper for fit. Aside from a couple oopsies – don’t look too closely at one shoulder, I think this worked out pretty well. I didn’t bother with buttons because he wouldn’t do them up anyways and we went with a wee lapel to make it a bit different and give some texture to the front. It’s fully lined (in the same fabric) as it needed the weight and meant there was no need to bother with facings or bindings. I could trace the pattern if anyone wants – it’s rather forgiving since there’s no fastenings at all.